Monday 1 July 2013

To beach her own

Here's a beach card and birthday card for my childhood friend Therése. 

In June, I collected a bunch of small shells, small stones and sea glass for card-making. I love to decorate with natural items. Also I collect sea glass. (The thrill I felt, when I once found a piece of red sea glass, was probably very similar to the thrill one must feel when finding gold.)

For this card I didn't only use sea treasures, but also forgotten treasures at home, such as an old fashion catalogue from 2004. Back in the days when I was an aspiring seamstress, I purchased different fashion catalogues, and saved many of them (especially those with sketched models). I believe I found the girl above (which you can see in my card) in Moda Marfy 2004 n.79 or n.78. 

As you can see (or so I hope), the sea girl is walking on sand. I am quite satisfied with the texture of the "sand" (I have been trying out different "formulas" for a year now). I think the texture is a lot better than the sand texture here for example (when I look at that card I feel sorry for the poor mermaid since she is so far away from the water lol). So, my new improved sand formula was created by using sand paint mixed with beige, yellow and brown acrylic paint. I also put lots of salt into the mix. Wow, now it almost sounds like I have been making a cake of some sort (the not so very tasty kind - I can ensure you that).  

For the water, I just did some brushstrokes in green and blue. Then I put a layer of glitter glaze on it, but I seriously don't know why because I think it looked better before. I'm seriously misusing glitter glaze. It's like an addiction. The glitter glaze addiction. The waves were found in an old fairytale-book. 

I created the happy birthday sentiment at Cool Text.

In the end I framed my card with fresh water pearls... because I thought it was a good idea by some reason (maybe it wasn't). 

I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:
Robyn's Fetish Challenge # 166 "AT THE BEACH"
{PIN}spirational Challenge #63

2 comments:

  1. I think your card is beautiful ... and I would love to touch it =)! The scene you created looks great. Thanks for digging out your old catalogue and taking part in the Daring Cardmaker's "Forgotten treasures" challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty card!!! Thanks so much for participating in our {PIN}SPIRATIONAL challenge!! Hope to see you again for our next challenge!!
    ~DEANNE~
    A Little Bit O' Paper

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated. :) Thank you for commenting!